Monday, November 26, 2007

Black Friday Madness

Most people are familiar with the term "Black Friday" refering to the day after Thanksgiving when large masses of people flock to the stores at ridiculously early hours of the morning. The Big Nerd has been wanting to "camp" outside of Best Buy for a couple of years, so I told him we could do it this year. We went to Best Buy on Thursday night around 11:00pm and took our place in line, which wrapped around to the back of the store. There we waited..........and waited.......... and waited some more. Ok, we only waited about an hour and then I couldn't take it anymore. I was freezing and reminding The Big Nerd just how cold I was about every 5 seconds. Since we weren't waiting for any big ticket items, The Big Nerd finally gave in, and we surrendered our place in line. We then went to Meijers becuase they were one of the few stores open. We bopped around Meijers for about an hour buying long underwear and rolling down the aisles in rolly chairs trying to regain feeling in our frozen body parts. Then we went back to Best Buy and considered getting back in line, but then we realized that we could stay in the car until Best Buy opened at 5am and then just run in the doors. Some may consider this cutting in line, but desperate times call for desperate measures and I was desperate to remain as warm as possible. Eddy is not very warm considering he has no heat, but it was slightly better than being outside. slightly. Our plan worked, and after 6 hours in the cold we ran into Best Buy so The Big Nerd could make his much anticipated purchase of.................................. a flash drive. Doesn't quite seem worth it does it? I don't think so either, but The Big Nerd is thrilled with his purchase so what can I say? Mission Accomplished?


Here are people camped out at 11:00pm on Thursday. I heard that the first person in line had been there since 9pm wednesday night.

This is me frozen on the ground in line at Best Buy. Do I look pathetic or what?


Here is the Big Nerd himself rolling on a rolly chair at Meijers, and no, we did not get caught rolling because we are too good.

7 comments:

ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

Wow. You are such a good sister. I can't believe there were tents out there. Amazing. Hope those people saved some serious bucks to be that committed.

You guys always have the best adventures! This time, it was the journey, NOT the destination, that made it worthwhile.

P.S. Read your tagline on your header. something doesn't seem right.

Anonymous said...

You bet I'm happy about my amazing flash drive deal!

Alicia said...

wow.. insane.. Canton wasn't the bad.. although Value City did open @ midnight.. and the lines were halfway down the street.

piano boy said...

Probably a good thing that I wasn't there. I would have freaked out at the whole rolly chair thing. You know it.

piano boy said...

Probably a good thing that I wasn't there. I would have freaked out at the whole rolly chair thing. You know it.

cinnamon said...

Sounds like Great fun.

Anonymous said...

I must say you love The Big Nerd more than I do. I would have dropped him off and picked him up in the morning. To stay out in the cold shows your dedication. That's why I don't hunt.


You should consider sending your story to Readers Digest for a little cash for college.


PR