Tuesday, November 13, 2007

PLASMA

The rumors are true. I have resorted to selling my body. Well, actually just the liquid portion of my blood, but you get the picture. There is a plasma donation center very close to campus, so yesterday I was finally able to donate plasma. I have tried before, but being the philanthropist that I am, the first time I went was just a couple of days after I had donated blood, and so I had to wait 8 weeks. But yesterday everything worked out and I was able to donate. It was........... an experience.

Things went well for the most part. There was only one minor problem, but I am surviving. After passing the physical examination they hooked me up to the machine that seperates the plasma from the rest of the blood, and things were fine for about the first 20 minutes. Then I noticed that my arm was hurting where the needle was, but I couldn't figure out if it had been hurting the whole time and I just now noticed or if it just started. What happened was that the needle went through my vein, and that's when it started hurting. So, they took the needle out of my arm, and then got another one and stuck me in the other arm. I'm sure you all wanted to know these details. I was then able to finish my plasma donation. I am forming a slightly painful bruise where the needle went through my vein, but otherwise I am fine and $40 richer. Since all went fairly well, I plan on returning again on Thursday so I can do it all over again. Hopefully without the bruising this time though. And just in case you ever wanted to know what plasma looks like, it is about the same color as apple cider, just a little bit lighter.

4 comments:

cinnamon said...

I'm glad that all went well. have a great week.

Alicia said...

wow.. I see a lot of people are resorting to the plasma donation.. I have a friend who donated last week for the first time as well.. she said it made her sick the first time but the second time went much better.. It's cool you can donate plasma..

ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

You know why they put those places next to a college campus? a bunch of people in need of fast cash! Glad it didn't hurt too bad.

Anonymous said...

YES, BRUISES!!!!!